Correcting Crooked Teeth: Teeth Straightening Treatments
If you have crooked or misaligned teeth, teeth straightening treatments can help. There are a variety of cosmetic dentistry treatments available to improve the appearance of crooked teeth. To find out which teeth straightening treatments are right for your needs, we welcome you to schedule a consultation with Virginia Beach, VA dentists Scott Parr and Tara Frey.
Why Undergo Teeth Straightening Treatments?
Teeth straightening treatments are an effective way to improve the appearance of the smile. Aside from the obvious cosmetic effect, teeth straightening can also improve oral health by eliminating dental overlap, which can make cleaning the teeth difficult. If you have crooked or misaligned teeth, you may want to consider teeth straightening treatment for the following reasons:
- Improved confidence: Teeth straightening treatments help correct the appearance of crooked teeth, giving patients the confidence that comes with having a beautiful smile.
- Improved appearance: The appearance of crooked, misaligned teeth can be improved with teeth straightening treatment, revealing beautiful, straight teeth.
- Improved dental function: In some cases, misaligned teeth can make chewing and biting uncomfortable or difficult. Teeth straightening treatments can help improve dental function by correcting alignment issues.
- Improved dental hygiene: Crooked teeth may overlap, making properly brushing and flossing difficult. Teeth straightening treatments can help improve dental hygiene by eliminating dental overlap.
Popular Teeth Straightening Options
There are a variety of teeth straightening options to meet the needs of each patient. In order to determine which treatment is right for you, it's important to undergo a thorough dental examination. Some popular teeth straightening options include:
- Porcelain veneers as instant orthodontics: For those with mild alignment issues, porcelain veneers as instant orthodontics may be a suitable option. Porcelain veneers are tooth-shaped restorations used to correct the shape, size, and overall appearance of the teeth. Instant orthodontics using porcelain veneers can generally be completed in as little as two dental visits.
- Invisalign®: Invisalign® offers the benefits of traditional orthodontics without the embarrassment of metal braces. Invisalign® treatment adjusts the alignment of the teeth using a series of clear, custom-fitted trays. The alignment trays are worn throughout the day and during sleep, but they can be removed while eating. The trays can also be removed while brushing and flossing, allowing ease of maintaining oral hygiene during the treatment process. Although the length of time required to complete the realignment process will vary from patient to patient, treatment generally requires 12 to 48 months.
- Traditional orthodontics: For those with major alignment issues, including severely crooked teeth, traditional orthodontics may be the most suitable option. Using a bracket and wire system, traditional orthodontics are used to realign the teeth over a period of time, generally taking 18 to 48 months. When the desired alignment is reached, a retainer will need to be worn to ensure the teeth maintain their new position.
Schedule a Consultation
To find out which teeth straightening treatment is right for you, we welcome you to schedule a consultation with Drs. Parr and Frey today.