Adult Orthodontic Treatment Can Improve Your Oral Health
Perhaps you have always wanted to address the appearance and function of your teeth, but you never received orthodontic care as a child or teenager. At the Smile Center in Virginia Beach, VA, Drs. Scott Parr and Tara Frey offer adult orthodontic treatment.
We understand that, as an adult, you may feel very self-conscious about the look of metal braces. For this reason, we offer discreet orthodontic treatment options, including Invisalign® clear aligners, as well as traditional braces.
No matter which type of treatment you choose, we can help you achieve a more beautiful smile.
Are You a Candidate for Adult Orthodontic Treatment?
Many patients mistakenly believe that they are too old for orthodontic treatment. In fact, adults can benefit from braces just as much as teens. If you have any of the following issues, you may be a good candidate for adult orthodontic care:
• Crooked or overlapping teeth
• Extra spacing
• Turned, tipped, or rotated teeth
• Open bite
We will carefully evaluate your teeth and take x-rays of your entire mouth. That way, we can determine your candidacy for orthodontic treatment, and begin creating your treatment plan.
Orthodontic Treatment Options for Adults
Our practice offers several different types of orthodontic treatment that can benefit patients of all ages. The right type for you will depend on your aesthetic goals, budget, and the severity of your misalignment.
The options at our Virginia Beach practice include:
- Traditional braces: If you choose traditional braces, we will attach metal brackets to your teeth. A wire will connect to each of the brackets, and the gentle force will gradually move and straighten your teeth. Traditional braces are affordable, and they can correct more severe alignment issues. However, they are more noticeable than other orthodontic options.
- Ceramic braces: Ceramic braces have tooth-colored brackets that will blend in with your teeth. In some cases, the wire may be tooth-colored, as well. Though more subtle, ceramic braces typically cost more than metal.
- Plastic coating: We may also place aplastic coating over metal brackets to make them look less conspicuous.
- Invisalign®: Invisalign® is the most inconspicuous treatment option, since it uses clear aligner trays to straighten the teeth. Like braces, each tray will exert slight pressure, shifting your teeth over time. Invisalign® can correct minor to moderate cosmetic issues, as well as overall bite misalignment.
The Benefits of Adult Orthodontic Care
No matter what type of braces you choose, adult orthodontic care can improve your appearance and oral health. First, your teeth will be straighter and more proportionate.
Your new smile may revitalize your whole face, and you could look several years younger.
Along with your improved smile, you will also enjoy a greater sense of self-confidence. Following treatment, you may feel more assured in both social settings and in the workplace.
Along with these aesthetic benefits, adult orthodontic treatment can improve your long-term oral health. With straighter teeth, you will be less prone to cavities since food will no longer be trapped beneath crooked and overlapping teeth.
Braces and Invisalign® can also reduce your risk for TMJ disorder by redistributing the force of your bite.
Contact Us for More Information
To learn more about the different types of adult braces, as well as your financing options, contact our practice today. Contact us online at your convenience, or call us in Virginia Beach at (757) 473-8482.