Treatment Options for Worn Teeth
Trauma, bruxism, and aging can lead to worn, eroded teeth. When the teeth become worn, they can have a direct impact on your bite function and oral health. It is important to treat the condition as soon as possible to reduce the risk of future damage.
At The Smile Center in Virginia Beach, VA, cosmetic dentists Scott Parr and Tara Frey offer a range of treatment options for worn teeth. Here, we discuss common types of dental wear as well as solutions used to correct the problem.
Types of Tooth Wear
There are three primary types of tooth wear. These include:
- Attrition: This occurs when the biting edges of the teeth become worn from tooth-to-tooth contact.
- Abrasion: This condition most often develops due to overzealous brushing habits and is characterized by worn areas around the necks and sides of the teeth.
- Erosion: Acidic foods and drinks can lead to dental erosion over time. This condition occurs when the enamel and dentin are compromised.
Left untreated, these conditions can lead to abfraction lesions. This occurs when a tooth is fractured due to excess stress on the enamel.
Common Causes of Tooth Wear
There are several reasons why tooth wear can occur. The most common include:
- Bruxism: Habitual teeth grinding and clenching is one of the most common causes of tooth wear and tear. If you suffer from bruxism, it is a good idea to wear a custom oral appliance to protect your teeth.
- Hard brushing: Aggressive brushing habits can damage the enamel and wear down your teeth. Patients should use a soft toothbrush and nonabrasive fluoride toothpaste.
- Bite problems: When the bite is out of alignment, the teeth can wear down quickly. In these cases, your Virginia Beach, VA, dentist can help determine the proper course of treatment.
- Acidic foods and beverages: If you consume a lot of acidic foods and drinks, you have a higher risk for worn teeth. Patients should consume these foods and beverages in moderation and be sure to brush and floss regularly.
Treatments for Worn Teeth
If you have already developed worn teeth, there are several options that can help restore your smile and oral health. These include dental bonding, porcelain veneers, and dental crowns.
Areas that are worn down can be rebuilt using dental bonding. During this procedure, your dentist applies composite resin that has been color-matched to your smile. Once shaped and molded, the material is cured and polished for a natural look.
If dental erosion is more significant, your dentist may recommend porcelain veneers. These restorations are bonded to the front teeth surfaces to conceal wear and tear. Keep in mind, however, that if your worn teeth are due to bruxism, you should wear an oral appliance at night to protect your new veneers.
Teeth that are badly worn may require dental crowns. These restorations offer maximum support and reinforcement. To prepare the tooth, small amounts of enamel must be removed. This creates sufficient space for your new crown, which fits over the entire tooth structure.
Schedule a Consultation Today
Regardless of the cause of your worn teeth, your Virginia Beach, VA, dentist can help find a solution for you. To find out more about treatment options, schedule a visit at The Smile Center. Contact us online or call our office at (757) 473-8482.